By H. Westley Clark, Linda Hutchings (auth.), Bankole A. Johnson (eds.)
The spectrum of dependancy issues provides practitioners with quite a few challenges—among them the widening hole among a turning out to be proof base and the interpretation of this information into remedy results. Addiction Medicine addresses this disconnect, truly explaining the position of mind functionality in drug taking and different habit-forming behaviors, and employing this biobehavioral framework to the supply of evidence-based remedy. Its state of the art insurance presents clinically proper information on not just conventional assets of habit resembling cocaine, opiates, and alcohol, but in addition extra lately well-known ingredients of abuse (e.g., steroids, inhalants) in addition to behavioral addictions (e.g., binge consuming, compulsive playing, hoarding). present behavioral and clinical treatments are mentioned intensive, and the book’s shut awareness to social context provides readers an additional lens for personalizing remedy.
An overseas panel of professional participants bargains the main updated info on:
- Diagnosis and type.
- Neurobiological and molecular theories of addiction
- Behavioral thoughts of addiction
- Clinical features of habit to quite a lot of components, together with opiates, stimulants, sedatives, hallucinogens, alcohol, nicotine, and caffeine
- Science-based remedies: pharmacotherapy, pharmacogenetics, capability vaccines, short and compliance-enhancing interventions, cognitive behavioral therapy, behavioral administration, and different psychosocial interventions
- Behavioral addictions—including compulsive consuming, net messaging, and hypersexuality—and their treatment
- Addiction in particular populations, together with youth, the aged, pregnant girls, and healthiness care professionals
- Legal, incapacity, and rehabilitation issues
At as soon as entire and integrative, AddictionMedicine is a vital textual content and a practice-expanding software for psychiatrists, healthiness psychologists, pharmacologists, social staff, drug counselors, trainees, and normal physicians/family practitioners.
Read or Download Addiction Medicine: Science and Practice PDF
Best science books
Emphasizing microscopic actual and chemical methods in house, and their effect at the macroscopic constitution of the interstellar medium of galaxies, this booklet contains the newest advancements in a thrilling quarter of molecular astrophysics. New house and ground-based observational possibilities have ended in major additions to our wisdom of the molecular universe lately.
- The Wild Life of Our Bodies: Predators, Parasites, and Partners That Shape Who We Are Today
- Getting to Grips with Science: A Fresh Approach for the Curious
- Self Healing Materials: An Alternative Approach to 20 Centuries of Materials Science
- The Sleepyhead's Bedside Companion
- The Radioactivity of the Human Body
- Science and Philosophy
Additional info for Addiction Medicine: Science and Practice
Recovery as a Holistic System The Access to Recovery and Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment initiatives emphasize the need to move beyond the rather narrow world of treatment into the broader world of recovery. The process of change through which an individual achieves abstinence and improved health, wellness, and quality of life benefits from an integrated system of care that views the treatment agency as one of many resources needed to ensure the client’s successful integration into the community.
Buprenorphine offers the primary care, specialist, or addiction medicine physician the opportunity to address opioid abuse or dependence at the patient level. However, training is a necessary precursor. An evolving twist in the practice of medicine is the use of buprenorphine for the treatment of pain. Of course, increased focus is also needed on those patients who have a pain condition and who suffer from addiction to opioids. As buprenorphine gained in popularity, it was inevitable that adverse event reports would increase in occurrence.
At the same time, people were being seen for injuries and conditions related to drug abuse and misuse. The challenge was how to take advantage of the opportunity to provide this population with at least brief intervention or treatment. The Center for Substance Abuse Treatment of the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration implemented a grant program in 2003 to encourage state jurisdictions and tribal organizations to initiate Screening, Brief Emerging Health Perspectives 19 SCREENING Incorporated into the normal routine in medical and other community settings, screening provides identification of individuals with problems related to alcohol and/or substance use.
Addiction Medicine: Science and Practice by H. Westley Clark, Linda Hutchings (auth.), Bankole A. Johnson (eds.)